Book/Printed Material A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave.
About this Item
- A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave.
- A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave was written by Max Lowland (pseudonym for Max Schuchart, 1920-2005) and illustrated by Jos Ruting (pseudonym for Josef Bernard, 1908-87) as a humorous guide for Allied soldiers stationed in or visiting the Netherlands in the period after World War II. It was produced by Joh. M. Allis, a Dutch publisher of picture and children's books. The book appealed to large numbers of Canadian soldiers engaged in the liberation of the Netherlands who were unable to return home straight away after the war because of a shortage of shipping. A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave was especially printed for Allied soldiers. Each letter of the alphabet is accompanied by handwritten-style rhyming text and cartoon drawings in black and white or with red and bronze colors. A range of subjects is addressed, including Amsterdam, Allied soldiers and Dutch women, Hitler, the German occupation, and alcohol.
- Ruting, Jos (Josef Bernard), 1909-1987 Illustrator.
- Schuchart, Max, 1920-2005 Author.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam : Joh. M. Allis, 1945.
- - Netherlands--Noord-Holland--Amsterdam
- - 1945
- - Dutch
- - Netherlands -- History -- German occupation, 1940-1945
- - Netherlands. Royal Army
- - Picture books
- - Soldiers
- - United States. Army
- - Wit and humor
- - World War, 1939-1945
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 28 pages : illustrations ; 13 x 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of the Netherlands.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ruting, Jos , Illustrator, and Max Schuchart. A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave. Amsterdam: Joh. M. Allis, 1945. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666953/.
APA citation style:
Ruting, J. & Schuchart, M. (1945) A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave. Amsterdam: Joh. M. Allis. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666953/.
MLA citation style:
Ruting, Jos , Illustrator, and Max Schuchart. A.B.C. For Soldiers on Leave. Amsterdam: Joh. M. Allis, 1945. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666953/>.