Book/Printed Material Almanac of Saint-Domingue for the Year 1765, with the Names of the Public Officials in the Colony. Almanach de Saint Domingue pour l'année 1765. Contenant les noms des personnes en place dans la colonie
About this Item
- Almanac of Saint-Domingue for the Year 1765, with the Names of the Public Officials in the Colony.
- Almanach de Saint Domingue pour l'année 1765. Contenant les noms des personnes en place dans la colonie
- This almanac of the French colony of Saint-Domingue (present-day Haiti) for the year 1765 was published by the firm of Antoine Marie, official printers for the colony, in Cap-Français (present-day Cap-Haïtien). The book begins with a listing of the major Catholic religious holidays, predicted eclipses, and other general information, followed by entries for the twelve months of the year. The listing for each month shows the days of the month, the saint or religious feast associated with each day, and the four phases of the moon (full, last quarter, new, and first quarter) for the month. The calendar of months is followed by a list of the princes and princesses of France and their dates of birth, beginning with King Louis XV and his wife, Queen Marie. Most of the remainder of the book is taken up by a comprehensive listing of the government and religious officials in the colony, such as the members of the royal council and other governing officials, the apostolic prefect and the curés of all parishes, naval and military officers, judges and lawyers, notaries, and many others. The last pages are taken up by a schedule of the courier services on the island linking the towns and cities of Fort-Dauphin (present-day Fort-Liberté), Port-de-Paix, Port-au-Prince, Saint-Marc, Léogane, and several other locations. Almanach de Saint Domingue pour l'année 1765 is one of the earliest books printed in the colony. The book is from Les imprimés à Saint-Domingue (Imprints from Saint-Domingue), a collection held by the Bibliothèque Haïtienne des Pères du Saint-Esprit that includes approximately 150 texts printed in Saint-Domingue before independence in 1804. The books were produced between 1764 and 1804 at presses in Cap-Français, Port-au-Prince, and Les Cayes and were digitized in 2006 with the support of the L'Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) and the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF).
Created / Published
- Cap-Français : Antoine Marie, 1765.
- - Haiti
- - 1765
- - Almanacs
- - Calendars
- - Catholic Church
- - Eclipses
- - France--Colonies
- - Government officials
- - Hispaniola
- - Saints
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 76 pages.
- - Original resource at: National Archives of Haiti.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Almanac of Saint-Domingue for the Year , with the Names of the Public Officials in the Colony. Cap-Français: Antoine Marie, 1765. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666965/.
APA citation style:
(1765) Almanac of Saint-Domingue for the Year , with the Names of the Public Officials in the Colony. Cap-Français: Antoine Marie. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021666965/.
MLA citation style:
Almanac of Saint-Domingue for the Year , with the Names of the Public Officials in the Colony. Cap-Français: Antoine Marie, 1765. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021666965/>.