Book/Printed Material Journal of an Expedition against the Iroquois in 1687. Journal d'une expédition contre les Iroquois en 1687
About this Item
- Journal of an Expedition against the Iroquois in 1687.
- Journal d'une expédition contre les Iroquois en 1687
- Louis-Henri de Baugy (died 1720), known as Chevalier de Baugy, was from a noble family in the French province of Berry. He arrived in Canada in October 1682. He served as aide-de-camp to the Marquis de Denonville in his 1687 campaign against the Senecas, one of the Iroquois nations hostile to the French. Baugy left a detailed account of this expedition, during which the French and their Indian allies ransacked four enemy villages, including their cornfields. Presented here is an 1883 edition of Baugy's Journal d'une expédition contre les Iroquois en 1687 (Journal of an expedition against the Iroquois in 1687), edited by and with an introduction by Ernest Hubert Auguste Serrigny (1840-1909). The second part of the volume is a collection of documents relating to Baugy's activities in North America between 1682 and 1689, including letters to his brother and various official documents. A table of contents listing these documents appears at the end of the work. Upon his arrival in New France, Baugy was involved as a lieutenant in the efforts by Governor-General Joseph-Antoine Lefebvre de la Barre to cut back the power of Robert Cavelier de La Salle in the Great Lakes region and to divert the fur trade of the Illinois country, then controlled by La Salle, to Montreal. Baugy returned to France in 1689, where he was seigneur of Villecien, Villevallier, Fay, and other places, and lived in his chateau at Villecien.
- Baugy, Louis Henri, chevalier de, died 1720 Author.
- Serrigny, Ernest Hubert Auguste, 1840-1909 Editor.
Created / Published
- Paris : Ernest Leroux, 1883.
- - Canada--Quebec
- - 1682 to 1689
- - Baugy, Louis Henri, chevalier de, died 1720
- - Denonville, Jacques-René de Brisay, marquis de, 1637-1710
- - Description and travel
- - Fort Chambly (Chambly, Québec)
- - France in America
- - France--Colonies
- - France. Army
- - Indians of North America
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Iroquois Indians
- - Military campaigns
- - New France
- - Seneca Indians
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 210 pages.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- 1682 to 1689
- Baugy, Louis Henri, Chevalier De, 1720
- Denonville, Jacques-René De Brisay, Marquis De
- Description and Travel
- Fort Chambly (Chambly, Québec)
- France in America
- France. Army
- Indians of North America
- Indigenous Peoples
- Iroquois Indians
- Military Campaigns
- New France
- Seneca Indians
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Baugy, Louis Henri, Chevalier De, Died 1720 Author, and Ernest Hubert Auguste Serrigny. Journal of an Expedition against the Iroquois in. Paris: Ernest Leroux, 1883. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667015/.
APA citation style:
Baugy, L. H. & Serrigny, E. H. A. (1883) Journal of an Expedition against the Iroquois in. Paris: Ernest Leroux. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667015/.
MLA citation style:
Baugy, Louis Henri, Chevalier De, Died 1720 Author, and Ernest Hubert Auguste Serrigny. Journal of an Expedition against the Iroquois in. Paris: Ernest Leroux, 1883. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667015/>.