Book/Printed Material About Patience. De patientia
About this Item
- About Patience.
- De patientia
- Battista Spagnoli (Giovanni Baptista Spagnoli Mantuanus, 1448--1516) was a Carmelite monk, poet, philosopher, and theologian. He produced a large and diverse body of work, including religious, philosophical, and ethical writings and several panegyrics. De patientia (About patience) is a treatise that counsels patience and the acceptance of pain as a way of purification and spiritual elevation and of coming closer to God. Published in Brescia, Italy, in 1497, the work is in three books. It is dedicated to Carolus Antonius Fantucius, a patrician from Bologna who was a donor to the monastery and was very ill. For Renaissance readers, the work would have recalled a book of the same title, De patientia, by the early Christian theologian Tertullian (circa 160--circa 230). Constantin Karadja (1889--1950), a Romanian book collector and bibliophile who was once the owner of this incunabulum, wrote on the flyleaf that the book contains one of the earliest published references to Columbus's discovery of America.
- Baptista, Mantuanus, 1448-1516 Author.
- Capriolo, Elia, died approximately 1519 Editor.
Created / Published
- Brescia : Bernardinus Misinta, 1497.
- - Italy--Lombardy--Mantua
- - 1497
- - Asceticism
- - Christianity -- Philosophy
- - Patience
- - Spiritual healing
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 116 pages ; 22 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Romania.
- - Content in Latin and Romanian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Baptista, Mantuanus, Author, and Elia Capriolo. About Patience. Brescia: Bernardinus Misinta, 1497. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667029/.
APA citation style:
Baptista, M. & Capriolo, E. (1497) About Patience. Brescia: Bernardinus Misinta. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667029/.
MLA citation style:
Baptista, Mantuanus, Author, and Elia Capriolo. About Patience. Brescia: Bernardinus Misinta, 1497. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667029/>.