Book/Printed Material Peking the Beautiful Peking the beautiful
About this Item
- Peking the Beautiful
- Peking the beautiful
- Peking the Beautiful is a photograph album of scenic places in Beijing, published in 1927 by the Commercial Press in Shanghai. The photographs were taken by Herbert C. White, who also wrote the descriptive and historical notes and the preface. Hu Shi (1891-1962), the Chinese scholar and philosopher, wrote the introduction. The cover, title page, preface, and explanations are all in English, but the titles of the photographs and the title on the back cover are in Chinese. The 70 photographs were originally black and white, or black and white with hand coloring. They were attached to the pages subsequent to the printing to prevent counterfeiting. Each photograph has a title in Chinese placed right beneath the image. The album has a beautiful binding, with padded hard boards, wrapped in embroidered silk. Herbert C. White (1896-1962) arrived in China in 1922, together with his twin brother James H. White (1896-1954). They opened a language school in Beijing. Attracted by Chinese landscapes and civilization, they used their vacations to travel around the country and took large numbers of photographs. This album is a selection of photographs of the city gates and walls, the Temple of Heaven, the Forbidden City, and the temples and monasteries of Beijing. It presents a realistic view of the city's appearance during the early Republican era.
- Hu, Shi, 1891-1962 Author of Introduction, etc..
- White, Herbert C., 1896-1962 Creator.
Created / Published
- Shanghai : Commercial Press Limited, 1927.
- - China--Beijing--Beijing
- - 1927
- - Architecture, Chinese
- - Buddhist temples
- - Castles and palaces
- - Gardens
- - Government buildings
- - Pagodas
- - Photograph albums
- - Photographic surveys
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 155 pages : photographs ; 41 x 33 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in English and Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hu, Shi, Author Of Introduction, Etc, and Herbert C White. Peking the Beautiful. Shanghai: Commercial Press Limited, 1927. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667036/.
APA citation style:
Hu, S. & White, H. C. (1927) Peking the Beautiful. Shanghai: Commercial Press Limited. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667036/.
MLA citation style:
Hu, Shi, Author Of Introduction, Etc, and Herbert C White. Peking the Beautiful. Shanghai: Commercial Press Limited, 1927. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667036/>.