Book/Printed Material A Brief Description of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, and Other Christian Churches in the Holy City.
About this Item
- A Brief Description of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, and Other Christian Churches in the Holy City.
- This account of the church of Holy Sepulchre was based on notes the author, architect George Jeffery (1855--1935), made some few years earlier, which first appeared in 1910 in the Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects. The book is in four parts. The first covers the history of the church, from early Christianity through the Middle Ages and into modern times. Part II is a description of the monument and the nearby Augustinian convent. It includes information based on archaeological discoveries of early vestiges of the church as well as contemporary observations. Part III deals with the lesser shrines of Jerusalem, including those within the city walls as well as the suburban churches. The final part of the book is about the medieval reproductions of the Holy Sepulchre in different parts of Europe, including the Church of Santo Stefano in Bologna, Italy, and the Church of Vera Cruz at Segovia, Spain. The book is illustrated with a total of 57 plans and drawings of the Holy Sepulchre, showing many stages of its construction. It concludes with an index and detailed chronological tables on pages 220-28. Among the tables is an ecclesiastical chronology of Jerusalem from 333 to 1733, in addition to a chronology of the civil government of Jerusalem from 333 until the Turkish occupation in 1517. This book was published in 1919 by the Cambridge University Press. George Jeffery was active in the preservation of ancient buildings in many places in the Near East and Middle East, most notably in Cyprus, where for about the last 30 years of his life he was the curator of ancient monuments.
- Jeffery, George, 1855-1935 Author.
Created / Published
- Cambridge : University Press, 1919.
- - Israel--Jerusalem
- - 1910
- - Architecture, Baroque
- - Architecture, Romanesque
- - Christianity
- - Church of the Holy Sepulchre (Jerusalem)
- - Description and travel
- - Shrines
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "First appeared in the Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1910"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 228 pages : illustrations ; 23 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Keith Emerick, "British Conservation Practice in Cyprus, 1878 to 1939: a Case Study," in his Conserving and Managing Ancient monuments: Heritage, Democracy, and Inclusion (Woodbridge, U.K.; Boydell Press for The International Centre for Cultural & Heritage Studies, Newcastle University).
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jeffery, George, Author. A Brief Description of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, and Other Christian Churches in the Holy City. Cambridge: University Press, 1919. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667046/.
APA citation style:
Jeffery, G. (1919) A Brief Description of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, and Other Christian Churches in the Holy City. Cambridge: University Press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667046/.
MLA citation style:
Jeffery, George, Author. A Brief Description of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem, and Other Christian Churches in the Holy City. Cambridge: University Press, 1919. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667046/>.