Book/Printed Material A Jerusalem Christian Treatise on Astrology. A Jerusalem Christian treatise on astrology
About this Item
- A Jerusalem Christian Treatise on Astrology.
- A Jerusalem Christian treatise on astrology
- A Jerusalem Christian Treatise on Astrology is an English translation of the first part of an Arabic manuscript on astrology, the original title and author of which are unknown. The translation is by Gladys Dickson, a British orientalist and explorer of Ottoman Palestine. Dickson obtained access to the manuscript from its unnamed owner, "a certain Arab living in Jerusalem." She translated the original Arabic title of the manuscript as "The Book of Compilation." Some of the translation of the document is incomplete owing to her unfamiliarity with some signs, and the transliteration of some words is given throughout. The document provides an explanation of various astrological phenomena, such as how the positioning of the different planets may influence events on earth and how the dates and year of birth may affect a person. The weather on specific dates is seen as indicative of conditions for the year, and features such as rainbows are given significance. Lunar, solar, and celestial events are explained in relation to other astrological phenomena and their influence upon worldly events is outlined. The personalities of people born under each sign are given for both men and women. The treatise was published in London in 1909 for the Palestine Exploration Fund, an organization established in 1865 by a group of Biblical scholars and clergymen under the royal patronage of Queen Victoria. The fund was founded to "promote research into the archaeology and history, manners and customs and culture, topography, geology and natural sciences of biblical Palestine and the Levant."
- Dickson, Gladys Translator.
- Palestine Exploration Fund Associated Name.
Created / Published
- London : [publisher not identified], 1909.
- - Israel--Jerusalem
- - 1909
- - Astrology
- - Astrology, Arab
- - Constellations
- - Zodiac
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 36 pages ; 22 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: "The Palestine Exploration Fund." http://www.pef.org.uk/history/. External
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Arabic and English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dickson, Gladys Translator, and Palestine Exploration Fund Associated Name. A Jerusalem Christian Treatise on Astrology. [London: Publisher Not Identified, 1909] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667048/.
APA citation style:
Dickson, G. T. & Palestine Exploration Fund Associated Name. (1909) A Jerusalem Christian Treatise on Astrology. [London: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667048/.
MLA citation style:
Dickson, Gladys Translator, and Palestine Exploration Fund Associated Name. A Jerusalem Christian Treatise on Astrology. [London: Publisher Not Identified, 1909] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667048/>.