Book/Printed Material First Folio of Zainer's German Bible. Biblia germanica
About this Item
- First Folio of Zainer's German Bible.
- Biblia germanica
- Presented here are the decorations for the first folio of the Augsburg edition of the German Bible printed by Günther Zainer (died 1478) in 1477. The illustrations are the work of an unknown illuminator from the workshop of Johann Bämler (1430--circa 1508). They consist of a colored and golden woodcut initial letter B, containing a scene showing a cardinal and church father, probably Saint Jerome (died 419 or 420), discussing a codex that most likely is Jerome's translation of the Bible into Latin known as the Vulgate. The text is Jerome's letter to Paulinus, bishop of Nola, Letter 53, written in 394, which begins: "[Our] Brother Ambrose along with your little gifts has delivered to me a most charming letter...." In the letter Saint Jerome extols Ambrose for his devotion to study of the scriptures and fear of God. The scene is constructed as a perspective view into the interior of a room, with the landscape behind the window topped by a blue sky. The frame of the letter B creates a golden area with stars or rosettes. The upper and internal margins are decorated with flowers and vines. Bämler was a scribe, calligrapher, illuminator, printer, and bookseller. Zainer was a painter and goldsmith who probably was also the first printer in Augsburg. The second image is a close-up of the illuminated capital B.
- Bämler, Johann, approximately 1430-1503 Associated Name.
- Zainer, Günther, died 1478 Printer.
Created / Published
- Augsburg, Germany : Günther Zainer, 1477.
- - Germany--Bavaria--Augsburg
- - 1477
- - Ambrose, Saint, Bishop of Milan, died 397
- - Catholic Church
- - Illuminations
- - Jerome, Saint, died 419 or 420
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Slovak National Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bämler, Johann, Approximately Associated Name, and Günther Zainer. First Folio of Zainer's German Bible. Augsburg, Germany: Günther Zainer, 1477. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667056/.
APA citation style:
Bämler, J. & Zainer, G. (1477) First Folio of Zainer's German Bible. Augsburg, Germany: Günther Zainer. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667056/.
MLA citation style:
Bämler, Johann, Approximately Associated Name, and Günther Zainer. First Folio of Zainer's German Bible. Augsburg, Germany: Günther Zainer, 1477. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667056/>.