Book/Printed Material The Customs of Andorra. La coutume d'Andorre
About this Item
- The Customs of Andorra.
- La coutume d'Andorre
- Jean-Auguste Brutails (1859-1926) was a member of the high court of Andorra in Perpignan, France. In this role, he was required by the French government to devote himself to the thorough study of the laws and customs of Andorra. The investigations he carried out and his work as a jurist were the basis for La Coutume d'Andorre (The customs of Andorra), a compilation of traditions and common law published in Paris in 1904. The work is in two parts. The first part is a compilation of public and private documents that Brutails collected in the course of his research. These documents are mainly in French and Catalan and date from the 18th and 19th centuries, but they also include the decree of 1305 in Latin by the count of Foix granting certain privileges to the Andorrans. Based on his reading and analysis of the documentation, Brutails composed the second part of the book, in which he covers the geography, economy, demography, and the historical, administrative, and sociological aspects of Andorra, as well as its customs, civil institutions, and judicial organization and procedures.
- Brutails, J.-A. (Jean-Auguste), 1859-1926 Author.
Created / Published
- Paris : Ernest Leroux, 1904.
- - Andorra
- - 1305 to 1904
- - Civil law
- - Customary law
- - Jurisprudence
- - Manners and customs
- - Politics and government
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 348 pages ; 25 x 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library and National Archives of Andorra.
- - Content in Catalan and French and Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Brutails, J.-A. , Author. The Customs of Andorra. Paris: Ernest Leroux, 1904. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667080/.
APA citation style:
Brutails, J. (1904) The Customs of Andorra. Paris: Ernest Leroux. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667080/.
MLA citation style:
Brutails, J.-A. , Author. The Customs of Andorra. Paris: Ernest Leroux, 1904. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667080/>.