Book/Printed Material Cairo. Sketches of Its History, Monuments, and Social Life. Cairo, sketches of its history, monuments, and social life
About this Item
- Cairo. Sketches of Its History, Monuments, and Social Life.
- Cairo, sketches of its history, monuments, and social life
- Stanley Lane-Poole (1854--1931) was a British orientalist, archaeologist, and numismatist, whose career included work with the British Museum, archaeological research in Egypt, and teaching Arabic studies at Dublin University. He wrote 16 catalogs of Arabic and oriental coins, books on the history and cultural life of the Muslim world, and biographies of English dignitaries associated with the East. Lane-Poole also was the editor of some of Jonathan Swift's works. His research and experience in Egypt is reflected in the book presented here, Cairo: Sketches of its History, Monuments, and Social Life. The work was first published in 1892 by J.S. Virtue in London with later reprints or new editions following in 1893 and 1898. In Cairo, Lane-Poole takes a comprehensive look at historical, archaeological, architectural, and social aspects of medieval Cairo and under Khedive 'Abbas II in the author's own time. Lane-Poole draws upon both formal sources as well as his own personal experiences in Egypt. The book has 11 chapters titled: Kahira the Guarded, The Mosques of Cairo, The Mamluks, The Museum of Arab Art, The Cairene, The Revels of Islam, Education and Religion, Christian Babylon, Memphis, The Fellahin, and England's Work in Egypt. It concludes with a note on the Mosque of 'Amr, a list of the Saracen rulers of Egypt and their monuments in the years 641-1517, and a list of the principal mosques of Cairo built in 642-1503. Adding to the value of this work are the numerous illustrations by G.L. Seymour, Harry Fenn, J.D. Woodward, and others of landscapes, architecture, and different aspects of cultural life.
- Fenn, Harry, 1838-1911 Illustrator.
- Lane-Poole, Stanley, 1854-1931 Author.
- Seymour, G. L. Illustrator.
- Woodward, John Douglas, 1846-1924 Illustrator.
Created / Published
- London : J. S. Virtue & Company, 1892.
- - Egypt--Cairo
- - 1892
- - Archaeology
- - Architecture
- - Description and travel
- - History
- - Manners and customs
- - ʻAbbās II, Khedive of Egypt, 1874-1944
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 320 pages : illustrations ; 23 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: R.S. Simpson, "Poole, Stanley Edward Lane- (1854-1931)," in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 2004).
- - Original resource at: Middle East Institute.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fenn, Harry, Illustrator, Stanley Lane-Poole, G. L. Illustrator Seymour, and John Douglas Woodward. Cairo. Sketches of Its History, Monuments, and Social Life. London: J. S. Virtue & Company, 1892. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667088/.
APA citation style:
Fenn, H., Lane-Poole, S., Seymour, G. L. I. & Woodward, J. D. (1892) Cairo. Sketches of Its History, Monuments, and Social Life. London: J. S. Virtue & Company. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667088/.
MLA citation style:
Fenn, Harry, Illustrator, et al. Cairo. Sketches of Its History, Monuments, and Social Life. London: J. S. Virtue & Company, 1892. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667088/>.