Book/Printed Material Stories of the Prophets.
About this Item
- Stories of the Prophets.
- Qisas al-anbiya (Stories of the prophets) by the 12th-century Persian writer Ishaq Ibn-Ibrahim al-Nishapuri contains the history of the prophets up to Muhammad, recounted on the basis of the Qur'anic narration. It includes stories drawn from the biblical traditions of the Old Testament as well as material on the pre-Islamic prophets of the Arabian Peninsula. This splendid and richly illuminated manuscript containing 22 miniatures was copied in Shiraz (in present-day Iran) in 1577, at the time a center of the arts in Safavid Persia. The manuscript once belonged to the collection of the German diplomat and orientalist Heinrich Friedrich von Diez (1751--1817) and is now in the Berlin State Library--Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
- Nīšāpūrī, Isḥāq Ibn-Ibrāhīm Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1577.
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - 1577
- - Bible
- - Illuminations
- - Prophets
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 246 folios.
- - Original resource at: Berlin State Library - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
- - Content in Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Nīšāpūrī, Isḥāq Ibn-Ibrāhīm Author. Stories of the Prophets. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1577] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667222/.
APA citation style:
Nīšāpūrī, I. I. A. (1577) Stories of the Prophets. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667222/.
MLA citation style:
Nīšāpūrī, Isḥāq Ibn-Ibrāhīm Author. Stories of the Prophets. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1577] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667222/>.