Book/Printed Material Memoirs of Babur.
About this Item
- Memoirs of Babur.
- Recognized as one of the world's great autobiographical memoirs, the Bāburnāmah is the story of Zahīr al-Dīn Muhammad Bābur, who was born in 1483 and ruled from the age of 11 until his death in 1530. Babur conquered northern India and established the Mughal Empire (or Timurid-Mughal Empire). Originally from Fergana in Central Asia, Babur descended on his father's side from Timur (Tamerlaine) and on his mother's from Chingiz (Ghengis) Khan. Babur wrote his memoir in Chagatai, or Old Turkish, which he called Turkic, and it was later translated into Persian and repeatedly copied and illustrated under his Mughal successors. The present copy, in Persian written in nasta'līq script, is a fragment of a dispersed manuscript that was executed in the late 16th century. The ordering of the leaves as found here does not follow the narrative of the text. The Walters' fragment contains 30 paintings, mostly full-page, which are representative of the Mughal court style under Emperor Akbar, who ruled 1556--1605. Another major fragment of this work, containing 57 folios, is in the State Museum of Eastern Cultures, Moscow. The dark-green leather binding, which is not original to the text, is in the region of 75--150 years old.
- Babur, Emperor of Hindustan, 1483-1530 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1575 to 1600]
- - Afghanistan
- - India
- - 1483 to 1530
- - Babur, Emperor of Hindustan, 1483-1530
- - Illuminations
- - Kings and rulers
- - Library of Congress Afghanistan Project
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Mogul Empire
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W. 596"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: Dimensions: 21 centimeters wide by 32 centimeters high. Foliation: 35.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World History
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Babur, Emperor Of Hindustan, Author. Memoirs of Babur. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1600, 1575] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667223/.
APA citation style:
Babur, E. O. H. (1575) Memoirs of Babur. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1600] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667223/.
MLA citation style:
Babur, Emperor Of Hindustan, Author. Memoirs of Babur. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1600, 1575] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667223/>.