Book/Printed Material The Wonders of Creation.
About this Item
- The Wonders of Creation.
- This cosmography by Zakarīyā Ibn Muhammad al-Qazwīnī (circa 1203--83), Kitāb'Ajā'ib al-makhlūqāt wa-gharā'ib al-mawjūdāt (The wonders of creation, or literally, Marvels of things created and miraculous aspects of things existing), enjoyed great popularity in the Arab world and was transmitted in numerous copies for centuries. This version at the Bavarian State Library in Munich, Germany, is undated, but a strikingly similar manuscript in the National Library of France bears the date 1762. The script, style, and color spectrum of the depictions suggest that both manuscripts were produced in the same workshop, which may have been in Palestine. The illustrations appear naïve and resemble depictions in Christian Arabic manuscripts of the 18th century. Some of the miniatures reveal that occasionally the total composition of the painting was copied by tracing. Some figures seem to be cut off, although there are no frames in which the illustrations were supposed to be set. Compared to the edition of 1280, the manuscript bears witness to a remarkable decline in the artistic quality of Arab painting. Al-Qazwīnī was born in the Persian town of Qazwīn and worked as a legal expert and judge in Persia and Iraq. He is also known for his geographical dictionary, Athat al-bilad wa-akhbar al-'ibad (Monument of places and history of God's bondsmen), which like his cosmography reflects learning in a wide range of disciplines.
- Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā ibn Muḥammad, circa 1203-1283 Author.
Created / Published
- Palestine : [publisher not identified], [1750 to 1770]
- - 1203 to 1283
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Celestial bodies
- - Cosmography
- - Curiosities and wonders
- - Geography, Medieval
- - Natural history
- - Planets
- - Science, Medieval
- - Zoology
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark: Cod.arab. 463"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 299 sheets, paper : illustrations ; 30 x 20.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā Ibn Muḥammad, Circa Author. The Wonders of Creation. [Palestine: Publisher Not Identified, to 1770, 1750] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667227/.
APA citation style:
Qazwīnī, Z. I. M. (1750) The Wonders of Creation. [Palestine: Publisher Not Identified, to 1770] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667227/.
MLA citation style:
Qazwīnī, Zakarīyā Ibn Muḥammad, Circa Author. The Wonders of Creation. [Palestine: Publisher Not Identified, to 1770, 1750] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667227/>.