Book/Printed Material Farah's Encyclopedia of Nature.
About this Item
- Farah's Encyclopedia of Nature.
- This Persian manuscript contains the text and accompanying illustrations of Faraḥ nāmah (Farah's encyclopedia of nature), also known by the title Ajayib al-dunya (Wonders of the world). The work is a treatise on natural history by al-Muṭahhar ibn Muḥammad al-Yazdi (flourished circa 1184). The manuscript was copied in the 17th century in a large Taliq script, and is illuminated with detailed multicolored illustrations of animals, birds, plants, rocks, and humans. Persian miniature painting was becoming a fine art genre in the 12th--13th centuries, and portrayal of the human figure was permitted in Islamic countries in lay contexts. The images here are in bright fresh colors, mostly in two dimensions, but occasionally with the suggestion of perspective. The very varied layout, with illustrations large and small in differing positions on the page and sometimes breaking through the text frame, gives the work great liveliness. The manuscript is at the Medical Historical Library in the Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library, Yale University.
- Yazdī, al-Muṭahhar ibn Muḥammad, flourished 1184 Author.
Created / Published
- Lucknow : [publisher not identified], [1600 to 1699]
- - 1600 to 1699
- - Botany
- - Gems
- - Illuminations
- - Minerals
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Precious stones
- - Zoology
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Written surface: 14 x 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Yale University Library.
- - Content in Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Yazdī, Al-Muṭahhar Ibn Muḥammad, Flourished 1184 Author. Farah's Encyclopedia of Nature. [Lucknow: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1600] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667271/.
APA citation style:
Yazdī, A. I. M. (1600) Farah's Encyclopedia of Nature. [Lucknow: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667271/.
MLA citation style:
Yazdī, Al-Muṭahhar Ibn Muḥammad, Flourished 1184 Author. Farah's Encyclopedia of Nature. [Lucknow: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1600] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667271/>.