Book/Printed Material The Sea of Gems.
About this Item
- The Sea of Gems.
- Muḥammad ibn Yūsuf al-Harawī, who flourished in the late 15th--early 16th centuries, was a physician and author of at least two medical treatises, including this lexicon Baḥr al-jawāhir (The sea of gems). It is a medical dictionary arranged alphabetically, covering anatomical and pathological terms and concepts and medicinal substances. The colophon gives the composition date as 924 AH (1518 AD). This manuscript was copied in 1601 in a clear medium-sized naskh script with some rubrication. The manuscript was a gift of Harvey Cushing (1869--1939), a Yale-educated neurosurgeon, whose collection of rare medical books forms a key part of the Medical Historical Library in the Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library, Yale University.
- Harawī, Muḥammad ibn Yūsuf, 16th century Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1601.
- - 1518
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Medicine, Arab
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Historical Medical Library: Cushing Arabic Ms. 2."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource at: Yale University Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Harawī, Muḥammad Ibn Yūsuf, 16Th Century Author. The Sea of Gems. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1601] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667274/.
APA citation style:
Harawī, M. I. Y. (1601) The Sea of Gems. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667274/.
MLA citation style:
Harawī, Muḥammad Ibn Yūsuf, 16Th Century Author. The Sea of Gems. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1601] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667274/>.