Book/Printed Material The Treasure of Khvarazm'Shah.
About this Item
- The Treasure of Khvarazm'Shah.
- Ismā'īl ibn Ḥasan Jurjānī (circa 1042--circa 1136, also seen as Jorjānī and Gurjānī), known popularly as Hakim Jurjānī, was among the most famous physicians of 12th-century Iran. In the period between the Islamic conquest and the time of Jurjānī, almost all scientific books by Iranians were written in Arabic, including such famous works as al-Qānūn fī al-tibb (The canon of medicine) by Ibn Sina (Avicenna). Jurjānī's medical encyclopedia, Zakhīrah-i Khvārazm'Shāhī (The treasure of Khvarazm'Shah) was the first major medical book in post-Islamic Iran written in Persian, and it soon became a primary resource for Iranian physicians, used for many centuries. It also was translated into Hebrew, Urdu, and Turkish. The voluminous work is in ten parts. In a lengthy preface, Jurjānī describes in detail the climate, geography, and the common diseases of Khvarasm (present-day Khorasan), the northern province where he lives. After presenting this background, he explains the necessity of writing a medical textbook in his native language. The arrangement of the ten parts of Zakhīrah is similar to Avicenna's Canon. In current medical terminology, the ten parts discuss the following topics: (1) anatomy, physiology and knowing temperaments, humors, and elements; (2) general pathophysiology (including a chapter describing the kinds of pulses and a chapter on causes of death); (3) hygiene and nutrition (including separate chapters on diseases of childhood, of age, and especially diseases contracted while traveling); (4) diagnoses and prognoses; (5) fever and its classification; (6) treatments (the volume of the encyclopedia most sought after by physicians of the period); (7) infectious diseases; (8) skin diseases; (9) toxicology; and (10) pharmacology. The present manuscript, created in the 12th century, has remarkable illustrations and illuminations and is one of the oldest existing copies of Zakhīrah. It is preserved in the manuscript collections of the National Library and Archives of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Jurjānī, Ismāʻīl ibn Ḥasan, 1042-1136 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1100 to 1199]
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - 1040 to 1137
- - Diseases
- - Human anatomy
- - Illuminations
- - Nutrition
- - Pharmacology
- - Textbooks
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Manuscript contains 6 of 10 original parts."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 828 pages : 220 x 110 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library and Archives of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- - Content in Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jurjānī, IsmāʻĪl Ibn Ḥasan, Author. The Treasure of Khvarazm'Shah. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1199, 1100] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667285/.
APA citation style:
Jurjānī, I. I. Ḥ. (1100) The Treasure of Khvarazm'Shah. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1199] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667285/.
MLA citation style:
Jurjānī, IsmāʻĪl Ibn Ḥasan, Author. The Treasure of Khvarazm'Shah. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1199, 1100] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667285/>.