Book/Printed Material Anthology of Ḥakīm Ruknā Masīḥ.
About this Item
- Anthology of Ḥakīm Ruknā Masīḥ.
- This diwan (a collection of poems in Arabic or Persian, usually by a single author) of Persian poems by physician and poet Ḥakīm Ruknā Masīḥ dates from 1638. "Ḥakīm" is an honorific for a wise man or physician. "Masīḥ" (the Christian), which appears elsewhere in the manuscript, was a pen name of the author. It is believed that the poems were dictated by the author to his calligrapher. The manuscript is in four sections, containing qasidas (odes), ghazals (lyric poems), rubaiyat (quatrains), and muqatta't (poetic fragments). The first two pages of each section show a gold field with a pattern of white clouds containing the verses. Each section opens with an illumination of a colored flower composition, with the titles written in white letters on a gold background, and text divided into two parts by a vertical band with a colored ornamentation. Each page is framed by a gold band with a blue outer rim. The colophon states that the manuscript was finalized on the 18th of the month of Shawal (Shaval) in the year 1047 AH at Dar al-Muminin of Kashan, in the Shikastah calligraphic style. The volume is bound in black leather, with red leather lining the inside covers. An imprint depicting cranes is embossed on the outsides and an imprint with a blue and gold ornament appears on the insides. The manuscript was given to the library of the University of Kharkov in 1904 by B.G. Filonov, a former student in the law school of the university, the first chairman of the executive board of the Kharkov Public Library (present-day Korolenko Kharkov State Scientific Library), a famous collector and patron of the arts in Kharkov.
- Ruknā Masīḥ, 1575-1655 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1638.
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - 1638
- - Calligraphy, Persian
- - Persian poetry
- - Poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 243 sheets.
- - Original resource at: Central Scientific Library of V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University.
- - Content in Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ruknā Masīḥ, Author. Anthology of Ḥakīm Ruknā Masīḥ. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1638] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667292/.
APA citation style:
Ruknā Masīḥ, A. (1638) Anthology of Ḥakīm Ruknā Masīḥ. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667292/.
MLA citation style:
Ruknā Masīḥ, Author. Anthology of Ḥakīm Ruknā Masīḥ. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1638] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667292/>.