Book/Printed Material Historical Books of the Old Testament.
About this Item
- Historical Books of the Old Testament.
- This Biblical manuscript contains portions of the Old Testament historical books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings. The volume is incomplete at the beginning and end. The scribe, whose name might have appeared in the missing colophon, is unknown. The copying was done in 1748 (Joshua) and 1749 (Second Kings). There are guide words but no page numbers. Chapters are inconsistently marked. The work is carefully written but appears to have received little use, as indicated by the lack of the fore-edge smudging observed in some other manuscripts in the Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts at the American University in Cairo. The binding is especially elaborate. It features fore-edge and envelope flaps, traditional for the region and era. The front and back leather covers bear blind-stamped medallions with pendants and corners with gilding that shows significant damage. Arabic translations of the Old and New Testaments available to Copts of the 18th and 19th centuries were based on several traditions, including early Coptic, Syriac, Greek, and even Latin. Scribes did not usually indicate the sources of their Arabic renderings, and scholars have not yet taken a critical look at the Biblical texts used by Egyptian Christians during the period immediately preceding Egypt's opening to Europe.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1748 to 1749]
- - 1748 to 1749
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Bible
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Coptic Church
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 598 pages ; 21.5 x 16 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The American University in Cairo Rare Books and Special Collections Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Historical Books of the Old Testament. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1749, 1748] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667296/.
APA citation style:
(1748) Historical Books of the Old Testament. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1749] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667296/.
MLA citation style:
Historical Books of the Old Testament. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1749, 1748] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667296/>.