Book/Printed Material Gospel of Saint John.
About this Item
- Gospel of Saint John.
- This Arabic manuscript of the Gospel of Saint John dates from the 18th century. The text is written clearly and enclosed in a double-lined frame in red. The folios are numbered with Coptic numerals. The manuscript has many marginal notes and Old Testament references in Arabic, with Coptic numerals employed for chapter and verse citations. The marginalia may have been added by Wadi' Muftah, whose name appears on the front endpapers. The text is complete and is in excellent condition, although the last page is copied in a different hand and lacks the border. The binding is brown leather over boards with a flap. The volume may have been part of a set. The scribe and place of copying are not given. Chapter headings in the Gospel text are indicated in red. There is an extensive table of contents and a three-page biographical introduction. The biography identifies John the Evangelist as one of the Twelve Apostles and states that he wrote in Greek. The account continues, following John's travels and frequent returns to Ephesus where, according to many legends, he is buried. The biography concludes with the miracle of his tomb, which when opened contained only his sandals. This and other details of his life and works are recounted in the biography. This work is part of the Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts at the American University in Cairo.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1700 to 1799]
- - Egypt
- - 1700 to 1799
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Coptic Church
- - John, the Apostle, Saint
- - Saints
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 74 pages ; 17.5 x 12.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The American University in Cairo Rare Books and Special Collections Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel of Saint John. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1799, 1700] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667299/.
APA citation style:
(1700) Gospel of Saint John. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1799] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667299/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel of Saint John. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1799, 1700] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667299/>.