Book/Printed Material The Sublime Pearl in the Sacrament of the Eucharist.
About this Item
- The Sublime Pearl in the Sacrament of the Eucharist.
- This manuscript volume contains two drafts of a work on the Eucharistic sacrament (Arabic, sirr al-'Afkharistiya). The sacrament is revered in many Christian churches, including the Coptic Orthodox Church, as the transformation of bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus Christ. It is the central event of every mass in the Orthodox tradition and in many Western denominations. The volume contains two versions of the same essay. Authorship is ascribed to Iryan Moftah (1826--86), even though his name does not appear anywhere in the notebook; neither is a date given for the composition. The two versions of the text are heavily annotated with Biblical references, marginal notes, and interlinear comments, many of which are in the same clear Ruqah script as the main text. The two drafts may have been prepared for a sermon or pamphlet. Iryan Moftah belonged to a distinguished Coptic family. He was a leader of the 19th-century movement to reform the administration of the Coptic Church and the liturgical language. Known best for his influence on reforming liturgical Coptic, he was also an intellectual and lay preacher. His manuscripts on religious, historical, and linguistic subjects are preserved in the Iryan Moftah Collection of the American University in Cairo.
- Moftah, Iryan Scribe.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1886.
- - Egypt
- - 1886
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Coptic Church
- - Liturgies
- - Prayers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 54 pages ; 21.5 x 17.3 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The American University in Cairo Rare Books and Special Collections Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Moftah, Iryan Scribe. The Sublime Pearl in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1886] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667301/.
APA citation style:
Moftah, I. S. (1886) The Sublime Pearl in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667301/.
MLA citation style:
Moftah, Iryan Scribe. The Sublime Pearl in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1886] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667301/>.