Book/Printed Material Reconciling Mercy with Justice.
About this Item
- Reconciling Mercy with Justice.
- This manuscript is a notebook containing the draft of a sermon or essay by Coptic thinker and teacher Iryan Moftah (1826--86) on the theme of the reconciliation of justice with mercy. The author's notes are in a careful Ruqah script on unlined commercial notebook paper with holes punched for insertion into a binder. The main text is heavily annotated with Biblical citations and textual emendations in the margins. Some pages are missing, as are the last pages of the volume. The author is not named in the text but internal evidence and the inclusion of the notebook among Moftah's papers make authorship virtually certain. Moftah tackles the perceived contradiction between divine justice and divine mercy, arguing that mankind's inclination to sin as reflected in the disobedience of Adam and Eve recounted in Genesis is matched by divine mercy and forgiveness. Iryan Moftah belonged to a distinguished Coptic family. He was a leader of the 19th century movement to reform the administration of the Coptic Church and the liturgical language. Known best for his influence on reforming liturgical Coptic, he was also an intellectual and lay preacher. His manuscripts on religious, historical, and linguistic subjects are preserved in the Iryan Moftah Collection of the American University in Cairo.
- Moftah, Iryan Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1800 to 1899]
- - Egypt
- - 1800 to 1899
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Coptic Church
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 16 pages ; 21.4 x 17.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The American University in Cairo Rare Books and Special Collections Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Moftah, Iryan Author. Reconciling Mercy with Justice. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1800] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667302/.
APA citation style:
Moftah, I. A. (1800) Reconciling Mercy with Justice. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667302/.
MLA citation style:
Moftah, Iryan Author. Reconciling Mercy with Justice. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1800] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667302/>.