Book/Printed Material Litanies of the Virgin Mary.
About this Item
- Litanies of the Virgin Mary.
- This Arabic manuscript contains two works pertaining to the Virgin Mary, who is recognized as the mother of Jesus Christ in both Christian and Muslim scriptures. The first manuscript is a personal prayer to the Virgin, to be recited daily for spiritual benefit. It includes a review of Mary's place in the life of Jesus as recounted in the New Testament, beginning with the Archangel Gabriel's announcement of the birth of Jesus and ending with Mary's presence at the crucifixion. The second manuscript is a litany, or list, of Mary's holy attributes in the form of an extended prayer. The works are ascribed, probably incorrectly, to the Coptic lay leader and intellectual Iryan Moftah (1826--86). The manuscript is written in the clear Naskh script commonly observed in Coptic religious works of the period. Neither work is complete. The volume is not bound. It is preserved with Moftah's manuscripts on religious, historical, and linguistic subjects in the Iryan Moftah Collection of the American University in Cairo.
- Moftah, Iryan Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1800 to 1899]
- - Egypt
- - 1800 to 1899
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Coptic Church
- - Liturgies
- - Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint
- - Prayers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 42 pages ; 11 x 8.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The American University in Cairo Rare Books and Special Collections Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Moftah, Iryan Author. Litanies of the Virgin Mary. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1800] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667303/.
APA citation style:
Moftah, I. A. (1800) Litanies of the Virgin Mary. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667303/.
MLA citation style:
Moftah, Iryan Author. Litanies of the Virgin Mary. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1800] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667303/>.