Book/Printed Material Rapid Healing.
About this Item
- Rapid Healing.
- Sadr al-Din Ali al-Gilani al-Hindi (died April 10, 1609) was a renowned physician of the 16th century. His uncle was a physician and may have served as Sadr al-Din's first teacher. Sadr al-Din completed his studies in Persia (likely in his region of birth, Gilan), and subsequently emigrated to India and the court of Akbar I (reigned 1556--1605). Presented here is an 18th century manuscript of Sadr al-Din's al-Shifā' al-ʻājil (Rapid healing). In the introduction, the author states that he composed this work in response to Razi's Bur' al-sa'a (The book of instant recovery). Sadr al-Din is also the author of a well-regarded commentary on Avicenna's al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb (Canon of medicine). The colophon of this work is in Persian, and the scribe, Ghulam Muhammad Pursururi, lists the completion date for the manuscript as Dhū Qaʻda 17, 1173 AH (July 1, 1760). Based on Qānūncha (The little canon) by Mahmud ibn Muhammad al-Jaghmini, which was completed by the same scribe the following month, the provenance of this manuscript is likely the city of Sialkot in present-day Pakistan.
- Hindi, Sadr al-Din Ali al-Gilani, died 1609 Author.
- Pursurūrī, Ghulam Muḥammad Scribe.
- Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925? Associated Name.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1760-07-01.
- - India
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Pakistan
- - 1550 to 1609
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Library of Congress Afghanistan Project
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 74 folios ; 195 x 113 millimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: A.Z. Iskandar, A Catalogue of Arabic Manuscripts on Medicine and Science in the Wellcome Historical Medical Library (London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library, 1967).
- - Original resource at: Wellcome Library.
- - Content in Arabic and Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Hindi, Sadr Al-Din Ali Al-Gilani, 1609
- Pursurūrī, Ghulam Muḥammad
- Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad Ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hindi, Sadr Al-Din Ali Al-Gilani, Died 1609 Author, Ghulam Muḥammad Scribe Pursurūrī, and Abū Bakr Muḥammad Ibn Zakarīyā Rāzī. Rapid Healing. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -07-01, 1760] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667328/.
APA citation style:
Hindi, S. A. A. A., Pursurūrī, G. M. S. & Rāzī, A. B. M. I. Z. (1760) Rapid Healing. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -07-01] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667328/.
MLA citation style:
Hindi, Sadr Al-Din Ali Al-Gilani, Died 1609 Author, Ghulam Muḥammad Scribe Pursurūrī, and Abū Bakr Muḥammad Ibn Zakarīyā Rāzī. Rapid Healing. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -07-01, 1760] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667328/>.