Book/Printed Material Tabulation of Drugs.
About this Item
- Tabulation of Drugs.
- The full name of the author of Taqwīm al-adwiyah (Tabulation of drugs) is given in a work by Ismaʻil Basha al-Babani (died 1920), Īḍāḥ al-maknūn (Clarification of the hidden), as Fakhr al-Din Muhammad ibn ʻAli ibn Abu al-Nasr al-Nisaburi, "and subsequently" as al-Asfara'ini. Almost nothing is known of Fakhr al-Din's life, although he is thought to have flourished in the 14th century. The attributions to Neyshabur and Esfarayen both indicate that he lived and worked in Khorasan in eastern Persia. Fakhr al-Din is known to have written several texts on medicine, including a commentary on al-Najāt (The salvation) by Ibn Sina (980--1037, known in the West as Avicenna). Taqwīm al-adwiyah is organized in two sections, with the first treating simple medicines and the second treating compounds. The author discusses the benefits and risks associated with each medicine, while also considering practical matters such as dosage. Fakhr al-Din cites al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb (The canon of medicine) by Avicenna, Kitāb al-jāmiʻ li-mufradāt al-adwiyah wa-al-aghdhiyah (Compendium on simple medicaments and foods") by Ibn al-Baytar (died 1248), and al-Minhāj fī al-adwiyah al-murakkabah (Methodology of compound drugs) by Ibn Jazla (died 1100) as among his sources. Taqwīm al-adwiyah is followed by a short and unidentified medical treatise (folios 92a to 113b). This work begins with an account of different kinds of meat and ends with an account of snakes and wasps. The manuscript dates from the 17th century, as indicated by the date of Shawwal 14, 1063 AH (September 6, 1653) which has been written at the beginning of the work as the date when the scribe began copying the manuscript. He worked in naskh script in black ink, with headings in red.
- Nisābūrī, Fakhr al-Dīn Muḥammad ibn ʻAlī ibn Abū al-Naṣr, flourished 14th century Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1653-09-06 to 1656]
- - Afghanistan
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Turkmenistan
- - 1300 to 1399
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Drugs
- - Medicine
- - Medicine, Arab
- - Medicine, Medieval
- - Pharmacology
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 115 folios ; 255 x 165 millimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: A.Z. Iskandar, A Catalogue of Arabic Manuscripts on Medicine and Science in the Wellcome Historical Medical Library (London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library, 1967).
- - Original resource at: Wellcome Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Nisābūrī, Fakhr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn ʻAlī Ibn Abū Al-Naṣr, Flourished 14Th Century Author. Tabulation of Drugs. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -09-06 to 1656, 1653] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667337/.
APA citation style:
Nisābūrī, F. A. M. I. ʻ. I. A. A. (1653) Tabulation of Drugs. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -09-06 to 1656] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667337/.
MLA citation style:
Nisābūrī, Fakhr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn ʻAlī Ibn Abū Al-Naṣr, Flourished 14Th Century Author. Tabulation of Drugs. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -09-06 to 1656, 1653] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667337/>.