Book/Printed Material The Book of Choice on Medicine.
About this Item
- The Book of Choice on Medicine.
- Abu al-Hasan ʻAli ibn Ahmad ibn Hubal al-Baghdadi al-Khilati (circa 1121-1213) was a celebrated 12th century physician who was born in Baghdad and died in Mosul. Well known as a doctor, he also distinguished himself in many of the other branches of knowledge of his era, particularly in Islamic law and jurisprudence. In addition, he had great command of Arabic belles lettres and wrote poems, some of which have survived. Ibn Hubal appears to have composed his major medical work, Kitāb al-Mukhtār fī al-ṭibb (The book of choice on medicine), in 1165. The work is similar to al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb (Canon of medicine) by Abu 'Ali al-Husayn ibn 'Abd Allah ibn Sina (980--1037, commonly known as Avicenna), in that it presents a compendium of Galenic medicine together with information gleaned as a practicing clinician. The book is divided into three parts. The first discusses anatomy and general principles, the second presents a list of medicines, and the third consists of a list of illnesses organized according the afflicted organs, starting from the head and ending at the feet. The present manuscript has sustained heavy damage (caused by insects and other factors) affecting virtually all of the surviving leaves. It is also missing a number of pages at the end. The last surviving pages belong to the third section of the work and contain a discussion of various fevers. Several modern editions of Ibn Hubal's text have been published, and parts of the work have been translated into French.
- Ibn Hubal, ʻAlī ibn Aḥmad, 1122-1213 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1165.
- - Iraq
- - 1165
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Diseases
- - Human anatomy
- - Medicine
- - Medicine, Arab
- - Medicine, Medieval
- - Naskh script
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 484 folios ; 220 x 108 millimeters text on 284 x 170 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: Wellcome Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ibn Hubal, ʻAlī Ibn Aḥmad, Author. The Book of Choice on Medicine. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1165] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667358/.
APA citation style:
Ibn Hubal, ʻ. I. A. (1165) The Book of Choice on Medicine. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667358/.
MLA citation style:
Ibn Hubal, ʻAlī Ibn Aḥmad, Author. The Book of Choice on Medicine. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1165] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667358/>.