Book/Printed Material The Book on Tending Horses.
About this Item
- The Book on Tending Horses.
- Al-Kitāb fī siyāsat al-khayl (The book on tending horses) is a short work on horsemanship by an unknown author. The manuscript is incomplete. The surviving portion of the text discusses the desirable characteristics of a horse as well as signs that indicate its good health. It also presents a list of equine ailments (including mange and cancer) and their cures. The text is interspersed with colored illustrations depicting a variety of horses. Each illustration is marked off by a circular border with decorative designs. One of the illustrations, depicting a saddled white horse, provides a map of the ailments afflicting a horse, with each ailment listed next to the part of the animal or the limb that it afflicts-while beyond the circular border a serpent slithers away. This work is undated. This and other similar works on horsemanship resulted in part from the pre-Islamic and Islamic cultural traditions of nomadism and the breeding of horses.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1000.
- - 1000
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Codex
- - Horsemanship
- - Horses
- - Horses--Diseases
- - Naskh script
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 18 folios : illustrated ; 21.3 x 15.7 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Wellcome Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Book on Tending Horses. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1000] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667366/.
APA citation style:
(1000) The Book on Tending Horses. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667366/.
MLA citation style:
The Book on Tending Horses. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1000] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667366/>.