Book/Printed Material Yoshitsune Leaving for Oshu Province.
About this Item
- Yoshitsune Leaving for Oshu Province.
- This picture scroll illustrates the story of Minamoto Yoshitsune (1159-89), a military commander at the end of the 12th century, and his legendary retainer Benkei (?-1189). Yoshitsune's older brother Minamoto Yoritomo (1147-99) became suspicions of his younger brother's ambition after Yoshitsune achieved a series of military successes. Yorimoto had Yoshitsune expelled from Kyoto. Yoshitsune sought the protection of the Fujiwara family in Hiraizume, Oshū province, but in the end was hounded to death and forced to commit suicide by his powerful brother. The tragic story of Yoshitsune and Benkei has been popular in Japan and used in novels and dramas since the Muromachi period (1336-1573).
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1500 to 1599]
- - Japan
- - 1150 to 1199
- - Minamoto, Yoshitsune, 1159-1189
- - Muromachi period, 1336-1573
- - Picture scroll
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 scroll, 29.6 centimeters in length.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Yoshitsune Leaving for Oshu Province. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1599, 1500] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667408/.
APA citation style:
(1500) Yoshitsune Leaving for Oshu Province. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1599] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667408/.
MLA citation style:
Yoshitsune Leaving for Oshu Province. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1599, 1500] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667408/>.