Book/Printed Material Entertainments for Twelve Months.
About this Item
- Entertainments for Twelve Months.
- This colored, hand-drawn picture scroll presents annual events and seasonal plays in Kyoto, month by month. This particular drawing depicts children holding brooms and playing a ballgame called gicchō on a street in Kyoto. The style of the calligraphy and brushwork suggest that the scroll was made early in the Edo period (1600-1867). The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin, Ireland, has the same type of picture scroll.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1600 to 1699]
- - Japan--Kyoto
- - 1600 to 1699
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 scrolls, 32.7 centimeters in length.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Entertainments for Twelve Months. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1600] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667409/.
APA citation style:
(1600) Entertainments for Twelve Months. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667409/.
MLA citation style:
Entertainments for Twelve Months. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1600] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667409/>.