Book/Printed Material Battle Standards.
About this Item
- Battle Standards.
- On this scroll are depicted uma-jirushi -- battle standards set up beside a military commander's horse to show his position -- of 170 soldiers. The illustrations are printed in color and also painted by hand. This scroll is important for marking the origin of multicolor woodblock printing (nishiki-e) in Japan. The sixth volume of this work, which was found only recently, is the only scroll still known to exist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1624 to 1644]
- - Japan
- - 1500 to 1699
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: One scroll; 23.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Battle Standards. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1644, 1624] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667410/.
APA citation style:
(1624) Battle Standards. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1644] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667410/.
MLA citation style:
Battle Standards. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1644, 1624] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667410/>.