Book/Printed Material A Sketch Book of Sakura (Cherry Blossoms).
About this Item
- A Sketch Book of Sakura (Cherry Blossoms).
- The sakura (cherry blossom) is the most famous flower of Japan, the beauty of which has long inspired artists in Japan. Created in the middle of the 19th century, Ōka-fu (A sketch book of cherry blossoms) contains the names and illustrations of 29 varieties of sakura, which are painted on silk with delicate brushwork. The artist, Sakamoto Kōnen (1800-53), studied herbal medicine under his father, Sakamoto Jun'an, physician-in-ordinary to the sovereign lord of Kishū Domain (present-day Wakayama Prefecture). Sakamoto Kōnen also worked in Kishū Domain as a physician. The richly bound book bears the ownership stamp of the Kishū Tokugawa family and is presumed to have been dedicated to the lord of Kishū by the artist.
- Sakamoto, Kōnen, 1800-1853 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1830 to 1853]
- - Japan
- - 1830 to 1853
- - Cherry trees
- - Flowers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 book ; 29.6 x 35.3 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sakamoto, Kōnen, Artist. A Sketch Book of Sakura Cherry Blossoms. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1853, 1830] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667437/.
APA citation style:
Sakamoto, K. (1830) A Sketch Book of Sakura Cherry Blossoms. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1853] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667437/.
MLA citation style:
Sakamoto, Kōnen, Artist. A Sketch Book of Sakura Cherry Blossoms. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1853, 1830] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667437/>.