Book/Printed Material Lectures Notes on Natural Law, International Law, Constitutional Law, Political Economy, and Statistics.
About this Item
- Lectures Notes on Natural Law, International Law, Constitutional Law, Political Economy, and Statistics.
- In 1853, after the arrival of Commodore Matthew C. Perry (1794--1858), there was an urgent need to introduce Western learning and technology in Japan. The Bakufu (shogunate) therefore devised a plan to acquire Western ships and to send Japanese to study abroad. At first Japan considered the United States as the best country from which to order warships and to send students, but it was unable to do so because of the American Civil War. The Bakufu therefore approached Holland and negotiated and finalized with the Dutch an order for warships and the dispatch of students to the Netherlands. The students were to study naval technologies, the social sciences, and medicine. They received their orders on April 11, 1862, left Edo on July 14, arrived at Nagasaki on September 16, and boarded a Dutch trading ship on November 2. They arrived at Rotterdam on June 2, 1863. Most of them went on to Leiden, but some also went to The Hague. They began their studies the following month. This document is the proposed curriculum for five subjects (natural law, international law, constitutional law, political economy, and statistics) to be taught to the Japanese students by Simon Vissering (1818--88). It summarizes the courses and the fundamental objectives of the lectures. Translated by Nishi Amane, it is recorded as having been written by both Nishi and Tsuda Mamichi (also seen as Tsuda Masamichi), who worked for the Bureau for the Inspection of Barbarian Books and accompanied the students.
- Nishi, Amane, 1829-1897 Translator.
- Tsuda, Masamichi, 1829-1903 Transcriber.
- Vissering, S. (Simon), 1818-1888 Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1863.
- - Japan
- - Netherlands--Zuid-Holland--Leiden
- - 1863
- - Constitutional law
- - Courses and lectures
- - Economics
- - International law
- - Politics and government
- - Statistics
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Nishi, Amane, Translator, Masamichi Tsuda, and S Vissering. Lectures Notes on Natural Law, International Law, Constitutional Law, Political Economy, and Statistics. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1863] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667463/.
APA citation style:
Nishi, A., Tsuda, M. & Vissering, S. (1863) Lectures Notes on Natural Law, International Law, Constitutional Law, Political Economy, and Statistics. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667463/.
MLA citation style:
Nishi, Amane, Translator, Masamichi Tsuda, and S Vissering. Lectures Notes on Natural Law, International Law, Constitutional Law, Political Economy, and Statistics. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1863] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667463/>.