Book/Printed Material A New Edition of Accounts of Those Born in the Pure Land.
About this Item
- A New Edition of Accounts of Those Born in the Pure Land.
- In Buddhism, ōjō means rebirth in the "Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss," where Buddha lives. Believers in the Pure Land (Jōdo) school of Buddhism fervently pray to Amitabha to ask for this rebirth. An ōjōden is a collection of the biographies of people who have achieved ōjō. It is thought that attainment of this paradise by an individual is indicated by miracles that occur at the person's death, such as an unutterably sweet smell lingering several days afterwards, beautiful music coming from nowhere, or the appearance of Buddha in the sky. An ōjōden describes these miracles. Ojōden first were created in China during the Tang dynasty (618-907). Large numbers of these collections of biographies came to be compiled in and after the Sung dynasty (960-1279). Such collections also were used in Japan to spread belief in the Pure Land. Shinshū jōdō ōjōden (A new edition of accounts of those born in the Pure Land) is one such ōjōden. It was compiled in 1084 during the Sung dynasty and published in 1105. The copy presented here was made only about 20 years later, in 1128-1130, and is the oldest existing copy of the work. It was copied at a time when belief in the doctrine of the Pure Land was rapidly expanding in Japan, and it is believed that the document played a large role in the propagation of Buddhism in Japan. It is also very valuable as an example of an early document that reflects the acceptance of Chinese culture in Japan.
- Wang, Gu, active 11th century-12th century Compiler.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1128 to 1130]
- - China
- - Japan
- - 1084
- - Biography
- - Buddhism
- - Buddhist literature
- - Miracles
- - Pure Land Buddhists
- - Rebirth in Western Paradise (Buddhism)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 volumes ; 26.0 x 14.8 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: "Material Recently Designated as a National Important Cultural Property-Shinshū jōdō ōjōden," National Diet Library Newsletter, number 192 (December 2013). http://dl.ndl.go.jp/view/download/digidepo_9551742_po_NDL-Newsletter192_921.pdf?contentNo=1&alternativeNo=. External
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wang, Gu, Active 11Th Century-12Th Century Compiler. A New Edition of Accounts of Those Born in the Pure Land. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1130, 1128] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667488/.
APA citation style:
Wang, G. (1128) A New Edition of Accounts of Those Born in the Pure Land. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1130] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667488/.
MLA citation style:
Wang, Gu, Active 11Th Century-12Th Century Compiler. A New Edition of Accounts of Those Born in the Pure Land. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1130, 1128] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667488/>.