Book/Printed Material The Correspondence of Kanō Jigoro to Shimomura Hiroshi.
About this Item
- The Correspondence of Kanō Jigoro to Shimomura Hiroshi.
- When it met in Berlin in 1936, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to hold the 1940 Olympic Games in Tokyo. Securing the Olympics for Japan was largely the work of Kanō Jigoro, known as the father of judo and as a university professor and school principal. However, opposition to having the games in Japan grew, both domestically and overseas, as a result of the worsening of the international political situation and opposition to Japan's policies in China. At the 1938 IOC session in Cairo, after desperate maneuvering and pleading by Kanō and others, it was agreed to proceed, for the time being, with the plan to have Tokyo host the games. On the way back to Japan, Kanō wrote a letter to Shimomura Hiroshi, a member of the House of Peers who was chairman of the Japan Sports Association at the time, in which he described his anguish about the many problems that still needed to be overcome to stage the games. Kanō died on May 4, 1938, on the ship carrying him back to Japan. Presented here is his letter to Hiroshi, from the papers of Shimomura Hiroshi in the National Diet Library. In July of that year, Japan decided to forfeit the games, which ultimately were cancelled because of the outbreak of World War II. Tokyo finally hosted the Olympic Games in 1964.
- Kanō, Jigorō, 1860-1938 Author.
- Shimomura, Kainan, 1875-1957 Recipient.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1938-04-04.
- - Japan--Tokyo
- - 1938-04-04
- - Correspondence
- - International Olympic Committee
- - International relations
- - Letters
- - Olympics
- - Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945
- - Sports
- - World War, 1939-1945
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 2 items ; approximately 21 x 28 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: "Kanō, Jigoro (1860-1938)," in Portraits of Modern Japanese Historical Figures, National Diet Library. http://www.ndl.go.jp/portrait/e/datas/253.html?c=10. External
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Japanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kanō, Jigorō, Author, and Kainan Shimomura. The Correspondence of Kanō Jigoro to Shimomura Hiroshi. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-04, 1938] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667493/.
APA citation style:
Kanō, J. & Shimomura, K. (1938) The Correspondence of Kanō Jigoro to Shimomura Hiroshi. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-04] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667493/.
MLA citation style:
Kanō, Jigorō, Author, and Kainan Shimomura. The Correspondence of Kanō Jigoro to Shimomura Hiroshi. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-04, 1938] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667493/>.