Book/Printed Material A Handbook on Theoretical and Practical Music.
About this Item
- A Handbook on Theoretical and Practical Music.
- This 1825 manuscript, prepared for a print edition, is a handbook on theoretical and practical music, written in Katharevousa, a purist form of Modern Greek developed in the early 19th century and at that time widely used for literary and official purposes. The work is an introduction to the Byzantine notation for the liturgical chant used in the Greek Orthodox Church that most likely was intended for students of Byzantine ecclesiastical music. The text probably was written by a scribe named Basileios Nikolaḯdes Byzantios. On the first page, which is designed as a title page of a printed book, the date of publication is given as 1825; the place of publication as Iaşi (present-day Romania).
- Byzantios, Basileios Nikolaḯdes Scribe.
Created / Published
- Romania : [publisher not identified], 1825.
- - Romania
- - 1825
- - Greek Orthodox Church
- - Music
- - Music theory
- - Music, Byzantine
- - Musical notation
- - Orthodox Eastern Church
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 182 pages ; 170 х 115 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Bulgaria.
- - Content in Modern Greek (1453-).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Byzantios, Basileios Nikolaḯdes Scribe. A Handbook on Theoretical and Practical Music. [Romania: Publisher Not Identified, 1825] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667524/.
APA citation style:
Byzantios, B. N. S. (1825) A Handbook on Theoretical and Practical Music. [Romania: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667524/.
MLA citation style:
Byzantios, Basileios Nikolaḯdes Scribe. A Handbook on Theoretical and Practical Music. [Romania: Publisher Not Identified, 1825] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667524/>.