Book/Printed Material Flemish Psalter. Psautier flamand
About this Item
- Flemish Psalter.
- Psautier flamand
- This Flemish Psalter from the library of the Irish College in Paris was made in Bruges (present-day Belgium) around 1500. The manuscript is written in Latin on vellum, and it has a 19th-century binding. Psalters are religious books, especially popular in the Middle Ages, containing the psalms (poems that are sung) from the Bible, often with other devotional texts. Richly decorated, the Psalter includes a fully illuminated page depicting the Tree of Jesse and a miniature of King David, the main author of the psalms. Twelve illuminations, each composed of two panels, depict the months of the year and the signs of the zodiac. Nine sheets have borders ornamented with flowers, birds, and butterflies. The last illumination introduces the text of the Office of the Dead. The manuscript was commissioned by an unknown ecclesiastic whose coat of arms, consisting of azure-colored lion rampant on a silver background, is painted nine times in the volume.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1500.
- - Belgium
- - 1500
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Psalters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 124 pages, not paginated (first 3 and last 3 are blank) ; 36 centimeters by 26.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Irish College in Paris.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Flemish Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1500] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667541/.
APA citation style:
(1500) Flemish Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667541/.
MLA citation style:
Flemish Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1500] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667541/>.