Book/Printed Material One Million Small Wooden Pagodas and Dharani Prayers. Hyakumanto Darani
About this Item
- One Million Small Wooden Pagodas and Dharani Prayers.
- Hyakumanto Darani
- Hyakumanto Darani (The one million pagodas and Dharani prayers) is the oldest traceable publication in the world whose production date is clearly identified. In 764, the Empress Shōtoku (718-770) ordered the donation of Hyakumanto Darani, each containing a small scroll printed with four Buddhist Dharani sutras, to ten major temples. The National Diet Library holds several of the scrolls that were donated to the Hōryūji Temple in Nara prefecture in western Japan. These three-tiered pagodas were painted with white clay. It is unclear whether the printing blocks were of wood or metal.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 0770.
- - Japan
- - 700 to 799
- - Prayers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 3 pages; 5.7 x 46.5 centimeters; 5.5 x 39.7 centimeters; 5.5 x 55 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Diet Library.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
One Million Small Wooden Pagodas and Dharani Prayers. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 0770] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667586/.
APA citation style:
(0770) One Million Small Wooden Pagodas and Dharani Prayers. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667586/.
MLA citation style:
One Million Small Wooden Pagodas and Dharani Prayers. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 0770] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667586/>.