Book/Printed Material Testerian Catechism. Catecismo Testeriano
About this Item
- Testerian Catechism.
- Catecismo Testeriano
- This early-16th century manuscript, known as a Testerian catechism, is one of the more notable documents in the archives of the Center for the Study of the History of Mexico. In the early period of the Spanish conquest of Mexico, before religious instructors had learned the languages of the indigenous peoples, they used pictorial stories describing basic teachings to spread the Christian Gospel. These catechisms were called Testerians, after Father Jacobo de Testera, a Franciscan priest who pioneered this method of teaching.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1524.
- - Mexico
- - 1524
- - Catholic Church
- - Franciscans
- - Jacobo de Testera
- - Religious books
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 8 folios, 15.5 x 11 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Center for the Study of the History of Mexico CARSO.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Testerian Catechism. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1524] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667589/.
APA citation style:
(1524) Testerian Catechism. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667589/.
MLA citation style:
Testerian Catechism. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1524] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667589/>.