Book/Printed Material Arabic Primer of Calligraphy.
About this Item
- Arabic Primer of Calligraphy.
- Muhammad Shafiq (died 1879) was a major Ottoman calligrapher who excelled in instructional calligraphic pieces. This particular work, filled throughout with intricate arabesque floral designs typical of the late Ottoman period, is in a notable Arabic calligraphic style, the naskhi script, which connects the Arabic letters to one another in a harmonious way. Of interest in this particular work is the binding, which reveals the origins of the manuscript. The typical flap is a hallmark of most valuable Islamic bindings throughout history. The covers are richly gilt in floral decorations that echo the floral design of the opening pages.
- Shafiq, Muhammad, died 1879 Calligrapher.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1852 to 1853]
- - 1852 to 1853
- - Arabic calligraphy
- - Arabic manuscripts
- - Illuminations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 18 folios; hand colored; 22.5 x 15.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Yale University Library.
- - Content in Arabic.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Shafiq, Muhammad, Died 1879 Calligrapher. Arabic Primer of Calligraphy. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1853, 1852] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667605/.
APA citation style:
Shafiq, M. (1852) Arabic Primer of Calligraphy. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1853] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667605/.
MLA citation style:
Shafiq, Muhammad, Died 1879 Calligrapher. Arabic Primer of Calligraphy. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1853, 1852] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667605/>.