Book/Printed Material Journal of Magellan's Voyage.
About this Item
- Journal of Magellan's Voyage.
- This manuscript volume, dating from around 1525, details Ferdinand Magellan's voyage around the world in 1519-22. The work is attributed to Antonio Pigafetta, a Venetian scholar who was born in Vincenza, Italy, around 1490 and who accompanied Magellan on the voyage. Pigafetta kept a detailed journal, the original of which is lost. However, an account of the voyage, written by Pigafetta between 1522 and 1525, survives in four manuscript versions: one in Italian and three in French. This version, in French, is from the library of Yale University, and is the most complete and handsomely produced of the four surviving manuscripts. It includes 23 beautifully drawn and illuminated maps. Pigafetta's work is important not only as a source of information about the voyage itself, but also includes an early Western description of the people and languages of the Philippines. Of the approximately 240 men who set out with Magellan, Pigafetta was one of only 18 who returned to Spain. Magellan himself was killed, on April 27, 1521, in a battle on Mactan Island, the Philippines, which Pigafetta witnessed and recounts in this work.
- Pigafetta, Antonio, 1480?-1534? Author.
Created / Published
- France : [publisher not identified], [1522 to 1525]
- - Italy
- - Spain
- - Philippines
- - 1519 to 1522
- - Description and travel
- - Illuminations
- - Magalhães, Fernão de, died 1521
- - Voyages around the world
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Parchment (fine), folios i (paper) + ii (parchment) + i (original parchmentflyleaf) + 98 (foliated 2-99) + ii (parchment) + i (paper); hand-colored; 276 x 184 (195 x 122) millimeters (28 centimeters).
- - Original resource at: Yale University Library.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pigafetta, Antonio, 1480?-1534? Author. Journal of Magellan's Voyage. [France: Publisher Not Identified, to 1525, 1522] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667606/.
APA citation style:
Pigafetta, A. (1522) Journal of Magellan's Voyage. [France: Publisher Not Identified, to 1525] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667606/.
MLA citation style:
Pigafetta, Antonio, 1480?-1534? Author. Journal of Magellan's Voyage. [France: Publisher Not Identified, to 1525, 1522] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667606/>.