Book/Printed Material Ordinance of Secession, 1861.
About this Item
- Ordinance of Secession, 1861.
- This document is a one-page handwritten copy of the Ordinance of Secession passed on January 10, 1861, by the members of the Florida Convention of the People (commonly referred to as the Secession Convention). Pursuant to an act of the Florida legislature approved on November 30, 1860, Governor Madison S. Perry issued a proclamation calling an election on Saturday, December 22, 1860, for delegates to a convention to address the issue of whether Florida had a right to withdraw from the Union. The Secession Convention met in Tallahassee on January 3, 1861, and passed, on January 10, the Ordinance of Secession. The ordinance declared Florida to be "a sovereign and independent nation." On April 13, the convention ratified the constitution adopted by the Confederate States of America. The convention adjourned on April 27, 1861.
- Florida Convention of the People, 1860-1861 Creator.
Created / Published
- Tallahassee, Florida : [publisher not identified], 1861.
- - United States of America--Florida
- - 1861-01-10
- - Confederate States of America
- - Politics and government
- - Secession
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 page.
- - Original resource at: State Library and Archives of Florida.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- United States History
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Florida Convention Of The People, Creator. Ordinance of Secession. [Tallahassee, Florida: publisher not identified, 1861] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667639/.
APA citation style:
Florida Convention Of The People, C. (1861) Ordinance of Secession. [Tallahassee, Florida: publisher not identified] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667639/.
MLA citation style:
Florida Convention Of The People, Creator. Ordinance of Secession. [Tallahassee, Florida: publisher not identified, 1861] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667639/>.