Book/Printed Material Gospel Book from the Bamberg Cathedral (Reichenau Gospel). Evangeliar aus dem Bamberger Dom
About this Item
- Gospel Book from the Bamberg Cathedral (Reichenau Gospel).
- Evangeliar aus dem Bamberger Dom
- The gospel from the cathedral of Bamberg is one of the most important masterpieces of book painting from the Benedictine abbey on the island of Reichenau in Lake Constance in southern Germany. In the 10th and 11th centuries, this abbey was the site of what was probably Europe's largest and most influential school of book illumination. Book production reached its artistic peak between around 970 and 1010--1020, a period known as the Ottonian Renaissance (after Otto I, Otto II, and Otto III, German kings and Holy Roman Emperors of the Saxon dynasty who ruled during this time). These richly illustrated codices were in most cases commissioned by high-ranking persons. This manuscript was made for Emperor Henry II (ruled, 1002--1024), the successor of Otto III, who presented it to the Bamberg Cathedral. The gold cover is one of the most beautiful examples of Ottonian book binding. The principal theme of medieval bindings-the Glorification of Christ-is represented by gold work of extraordinary artistry. The cross of triumph, with a large oval agate at its center, dominates the composition. The introductory picture shows Christ, as victor and source of life, in the Tree of Life, surrounded by the symbols of the evangelists. In the lunettes of the evangelists, the symbol of each evangelist is linked with one of the major events of salvation. The iconography of the manuscript, with its rich and unusual array of references, is unique in Reichenau illumination. The illuminated manuscripts from the Ottonian period were inscribed in the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2003.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1000 to 1020]
- - Germany--Baden-Württemberg--Reichenau
- - 1000 to 1020
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Codex
- - Illuminations
- - Memory of the World
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 4454"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 264 pages : vellum, illustrated ; 30.5 x 23.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel Book from the Bamberg Cathedral Reichenau Gospel. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1020, 1000] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667655/.
APA citation style:
(1000) Gospel Book from the Bamberg Cathedral Reichenau Gospel. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1020] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667655/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel Book from the Bamberg Cathedral Reichenau Gospel. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1020, 1000] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667655/>.