Book/Printed Material Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria. Kleinodienbuch der Herzogin Anna von Bayern
About this Item
- Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria.
- Kleinodienbuch der Herzogin Anna von Bayern
- This unique manuscript was commissioned in 1552 by Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria, the founder of what is today the Bavarian State Library. The manuscript is an inventory of the jewelry owned by the duke and his wife, Duchess Anna, a member of the Habsburg dynasty and a daughter of Emperor Ferdinand I. The work contains 110 magnificent drawings by the Munich court painter Hans Mielich. One of the most impressive of these drawings is the front page miniature showing Albrecht and Anna playing chess, with Albrecht portrayed as a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Because of its outstanding importance as a work of art, the manuscript was kept in the private ducal and electoral Chamber of Artifacts for almost three centuries-long after the originals of the jewelry depicted had been lost. Only in 1843 was the work presented to the Bavarian State Library by King Ludwig I.
- Mielich, Hans, 1516-1573 Illustrator.
Created / Published
- Munich : [publisher not identified], [1552 to 1555]
- - Germany
- - 1552 to 1555
- - Albrecht V, Duke of Bavaria, 1528-1579
- - Illuminations
- - Jewelry
- - Mielich, Hans, 1516-1573
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Cod.icon. 429"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: III + 65 + I pages ; vellum and paper : illustrations ; 20.5 x 15.4 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mielich, Hans, Illustrator. Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria. [Munich: Publisher Not Identified, to 1555, 1552] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667657/.
APA citation style:
Mielich, H. (1552) Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria. [Munich: Publisher Not Identified, to 1555] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667657/.
MLA citation style:
Mielich, Hans, Illustrator. Jewel Book of the Duchess Anna of Bavaria. [Munich: Publisher Not Identified, to 1555, 1552] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667657/>.