Book/Printed Material Books 1--5 of History. Ethiopian Story. Book 8: From the Departure of the Divine Marcus.
About this Item
- Books 1--5 of History. Ethiopian Story. Book 8: From the Departure of the Divine Marcus.
- Under the influence of Italian humanism and of his book-collector tutor János Vitéz, the Archbishop of Esztergom, Matthias Corvinus of Hungary (1443--1490), developed a passion for books and learning. Elected king of Hungary in 1458 at the age of 14, Matthias won great acclaim for his battles against the Ottoman Turks and his patronage of learning and science. He created the Bibliotheca Corviniana, in its day one of Europe's finest libraries. After his death, and especially after the conquest of Buda by the Turks in 1541, the library was dispersed and much of the collection was destroyed, with the surviving volumes scattered all over Europe. This codex, one of eight manuscripts originally in the Corvinus Library and now preserved in the Bavarian State Library, contains Books I-V of The Histories by the Greek historian Polybius, a part of the only known work by the third century Greek historian Herodianus, and the text of Aethiopica, a third-century Greek romance attributed to Heliodorus of Emesa, which recounts the Ethiopian adventures of Theagenes and Chariclea. The codex is believed to have survived the siege and capture of Constantinople in 1453, after which it came into the possession of Corvinus. After his death it is recorded to have belonged to the Nuremberg doctor Joachim Camerarius II, who gave it to Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria as a gift in 1577. It has remained in the Bavarian State Library ever since. The Bibliotheca Corviniana Collection was inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2005.
- Heliodoros Author.
- Herodian Author.
- Polybius Author.
Created / Published
- Constantinople : [publisher not identified], [1400 to 1440]
- - Ethiopia
- - Turkey
- - 300 B.C. to 300
- - Codex
- - Drama
- - Memory of the World
- - Romances
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Cod.graec. 157"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: VII + 168 + I leaves, vellum ; 28 x 21.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Ancient Greek (to 1453).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Bibliotheca Corviniana
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heliodoros Author, Herodian Author, and Polybius Author. Books 1--5 of History. Ethiopian Story. Book 8: From the Departure of the Divine Marcus. [Constantinople: Publisher Not Identified, to 1440, 1400] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667662/.
APA citation style:
Heliodoros Author, Herodian Author & Polybius Author. (1400) Books 1--5 of History. Ethiopian Story. Book 8: From the Departure of the Divine Marcus. [Constantinople: Publisher Not Identified, to 1440] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667662/.
MLA citation style:
Heliodoros Author, Herodian Author, and Polybius Author. Books 1--5 of History. Ethiopian Story. Book 8: From the Departure of the Divine Marcus. [Constantinople: Publisher Not Identified, to 1440, 1400] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667662/>.