Book/Printed Material Life of Barsawma.
About this Item
- Life of Barsawma.
- This undated manuscript of Ktāba d-ḥayyāw(y) d-qaddišā mār(y) Barṣawmā (Life of Barsawma) contains a narrative of the miraculous life of Barsawma (died about 492). The manuscript is in Syriac, but this text also is known in Ge'ez, the classical language of Ethiopia. Barsawma is said to have performed about 100 miracles, detailed here, and he was involved in the Christological controversies of the fifth century. A famous monastery near Melitene in present-day Turkey is named after him. The folios of the manuscript are unnumbered, but it is evident that the first quire at the beginning and a few folios at the end are missing. The script around the edges of the page is noticeably flowing.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [500 to 1900]
- - Turkey
- - 451 to 492
- - Barṣauma, of Nisibis, circa 415-492
- - Biography
- - Church of the East
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 148 pages ; 18 x 13 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Syriac-Orthodox Archdiocese of Aleppo.
- - Content in Syriac.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- St. George Church (Urfa Collection)
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Life of Barsawma. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 500 to, 0500] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667696/.
APA citation style:
(0500) Life of Barsawma. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 500 to] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667696/.
MLA citation style:
Life of Barsawma. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 500 to, 0500] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667696/>.