Book/Printed Material Writings of Lope de Vega: Daza Codex. Obras de Lope de Vega
About this Item
- Writings of Lope de Vega: Daza Codex.
- Obras de Lope de Vega
- Félix Arturo Lope de Vega (1562--1635) was a playwright and poet during Spain's literary Golden Age and known for his prodigious output. He wrote some 3,000 sonnets, three novels, four novellas, nine epic poems, and about 1,800 plays. This manuscript, known as the Daza Codex, is a signed draft, written by Lope between 1631 and 1634, near the end of his life. It is not a book in itself but a cartapacio misceláneo (miscellaneous notebook) that belonged to the Duke of Sessa, Lope's patron and first collector. The last 96 pages are bound in upside down. The contemporary binding, in parchment, presents on the cover, as a title, the following note in ink: "Here are the eclogues," thus indicating the contents, which are mainly poems on pastoral themes, although some prose is also included. The notebook includes both unpublished works and fragments of several known works. The latter include La Dorotea (Lope's main prose work, an extensive dialogue that he preferred to call "action in prose," published in 1632), and "Amarilis, huerto desecho" (Amarilis, abandoned kitchen garden). The works are interspersed in the manuscript, indicating Lope's method of creating several pieces at one time.
- Vega, Lope de, 1562-1635 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1631 to 1634]
- - Spain
- - 1631 to 1634
- - Codex
- - Notebooks
- - Poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Several paginations from different eras in red and blue ink..
- - Original resource at: National Library of Spain.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vega, Lope De, Author. Writings of Lope de Vega: Daza Codex. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1634, 1631] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667706/.
APA citation style:
Vega, L. D. (1631) Writings of Lope de Vega: Daza Codex. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1634] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667706/.
MLA citation style:
Vega, Lope De, Author. Writings of Lope de Vega: Daza Codex. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1634, 1631] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667706/>.