Book/Printed Material Memorandum of the Latvian Central Council, 17 March, 1944. Latvijas Centrālās Padomes Memorands. Rīga, 1944. gada 17. marts
About this Item
- Memorandum of the Latvian Central Council, 17 March, 1944.
- Latvijas Centrālās Padomes Memorands. Rīga, 1944. gada 17. marts
- The Latvian Central Council was created on March 13, 1943, by representatives of Latvia's largest prewar political parties. Latvia had gained its independence from Russia at the end of World War I, but in June 1940 the country was occupied by the Red Army and in August 1940 it was forcibly incorporated into the Soviet Union. In June 1941, Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union and by July of that year it had overrun Latvia and incorporated the country into Germany's eastern empire. Latvians resisted both Soviet and German occupation and sought to restore their independence. On March 17, 1944, 189 Latvian political leaders and public figures signed the Memorandum of the Latvian Central Council, which declared the urgent need to restore the de facto sovereignty of the Republic of Latvia and create a Latvian government. The memorandum was a call to resist the reoccupation of Latvia by the Soviet Union following the defeat of Germany, which by that time was widely expected. The memorandum was drawn up in several original copies and photographically reproduced with the aim of taking it out of Latvia and getting it into the hands of the governments of the Western allies. Shown here is the only known original of the memorandum.
- Latvian Central Council Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1944-03-17.
- - Latvia
- - 1944
- - Autonomy
- - National Memory of the World Register, Latvia
- - Politics and government
- - World War, 1939-1945
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 15 pages ; 37 x 23 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Latvian War Museum.
- - Content in Latvian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Latvian Central Council Author. Memorandum of the Latvian Central Council, 17 March. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -03-17, 1944] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667712/.
APA citation style:
Latvian Central Council Author. (1944) Memorandum of the Latvian Central Council, 17 March. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -03-17] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667712/.
MLA citation style:
Latvian Central Council Author. Memorandum of the Latvian Central Council, 17 March. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -03-17, 1944] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667712/>.