Book/Printed Material Regimen of Health. Regimen
About this Item
- Regimen of Health.
- Heinrich von Laufenberg (circa 1390--1460) was a cleric from the southwest German town of Freiburg, a prolific writer of prose and verse in both German and Latin, who is best known for his religious lyrics. His Regimen Sanitatis (Regimen of health) of 1429 is a medical-astronomical compendium of guidance to healthful living that stretches to more than 6,000 lines of metrical German. The work presents the reader with practical rules for healthy living concerning such matters as a balanced diet, phlebotomy (bloodletting, then a common treatment to prevent or cure illness), and ways to prevent the plague. The text reflects the contemporary scientific view that planetary configurations affect an individual's well-being. Folio 23v (image 50) of the manuscript, for example, shows an illustration depicting the sections of the human body that it was believed should not be medicated while the moon is in a certain sign of the zodiac. This splendid codex with its beautiful layout and 71 colored drawings and initials offers a representative example of a mid-15th-century scientific manuscript intended for practical use by wealthy citizens or by religious orders.
- Laufenberg, Heinrich, 1390-1460 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1460.
- - Germany--Saxony-Anhalt--Freiburg
- - 1460
- - Astrology
- - Astronomy
- - Codex
- - Medical astrology
- - Medicine, Medieval
- - Nutrition
- - Plague
- - Zodiac
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 144 folios.
- - Original resource at: Berlin State Library - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Laufenberg, Heinrich, Author. Regimen of Health. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1460] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667735/.
APA citation style:
Laufenberg, H. (1460) Regimen of Health. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667735/.
MLA citation style:
Laufenberg, Heinrich, Author. Regimen of Health. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1460] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667735/>.