Book/Printed Material German Old Testament. Deutschsprachige Bibel (Altes Testament)
About this Item
- German Old Testament.
- Deutschsprachige Bibel (Altes Testament)
- This two-volume manuscript of a Southern German translation of the Old Testament was written by the professional scribe Georg Rorer from Ratisbon (Regensburg) around 1463, perhaps for the monastery of Rottenbuch in Bavaria. The first volume contains all the books of the Old Testament from the Book of Genesis (with the first part of the Book of Genesis up to 24:19 missing) to the Second Book of Kings, as well as the psalter. The first chapters of the Gospel of Matthew (1:1--5:44) were accidentally bound into this volume between the Book of Numbers and the Book of Deuteronomy. The volume is illustrated by 60 miniatures and additional floral motifs; these were executed in Ratisbon as well, in a style resembling (though slightly predating) the illuminations of Berthold Furtmeyr (active 1460--1501), who is considered one of the finest German illuminators of his time. The second volume, also by Rorer, contains the books of the Old Testament from the Book of Paralipomenon (also known as I and II Chronicles) to the Book of Malachi, as well as single prologues to the books of the Bible, comprising, among others, those to the major and minor prophets, as well as to the four gospels. It is noteworthy that the codex also contains two prologues by the Frankish Benedictine monk Rabanus Magnentius Maurus (circa 784--856, also known as Hrabanus Maurus) to the two books of the Maccabees. The second volume is illustrated by 52 miniatures and additional floral motifs, also in a style resembling that of Furtmeyr.
- Furtmeyr, Berthold, flourished 1460-1501 Illuminator.
- Rabanus Maurus, Archbishop of Mainz, 784?-856 Contributor.
- Rörer, Georg Scribe.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1463.
- - Germany--Bavaria--Regensburg
- - 1463
- - Bible
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Codex
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark: Volume 1: Cgm 502; Volume 2: Cgm 503"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: Volume 1: 229 sheets, paper; Volume 2: 289 sheets, paper : illustrations ; 40 x 28 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Middle High German (ca. 1050-1500).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Furtmeyr, Berthold, Flourished Illuminator, Archbishop Of Mainz Rabanus Maurus, and Georg Scribe Rörer. German Old Testament. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1463] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667749/.
APA citation style:
Furtmeyr, B., Rabanus Maurus, A. O. M. & Rörer, G. S. (1463) German Old Testament. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667749/.
MLA citation style:
Furtmeyr, Berthold, Flourished Illuminator, Archbishop Of Mainz Rabanus Maurus, and Georg Scribe Rörer. German Old Testament. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1463] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667749/>.