Book/Printed Material The Secret Book of Honors of the Fugger Family. Das Geheime Ehrenbuch der Fugger
About this Item
- The Secret Book of Honors of the Fugger Family.
- Das Geheime Ehrenbuch der Fugger
- The history of the Fugger family can be seen as an unparalleled success story of the German Renaissance. Starting as weavers in the second half of the 14th century, the family quickly evolved into successful merchants, bankers, and noblemen, culminating in Jakob Fugger the Wealthy (1459--1525) and Anton Fugger (1493--1560). They are considered to have been the wealthiest persons of their time, even though the family business was almost bankrupted by its loans to the Hapsburgs in the 1560s. The Fugger dynasty still exists today as a noble family in Germany. Around 1545 Johann Jakob Fugger (1516--75) commissioned this manuscript detailing the genealogy of his family up to his time. Genealogical research and text compilation was conducted by the apparitor, archivist, and entrepreneur Clemens Jäger (circa 1500--60). The illumination of the manuscript, including lavish portraits of family members, heraldic devices, and playfully detailed border motifs, was executed in the leading Augsburg workshop of Jörg Breu the Younger (circa 1510--47) and finished around 1548. Unlike the rest of Johann Jakob Fugger's library, which was sold to Duke Albrecht IV of Bavaria in 1571, the manuscript was kept in the family for centuries and was even updated during the 18th century. Only in 2009 did the Fugger family sell it to the Bavarian State Library. The acquisition was made possible thanks to the generous financial support of the Ernst-von-Siemens Kunststiftung.
- Breu, Jörg, 1510?-1547 Artist.
- Jäger, Clemens, circa 1500-1561 Compiler.
Created / Published
- Augsburg, Germany : [publisher not identified], [1545 to 1799]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Augsburg
- - 1545 to 1799
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Fugger family
- - Illuminations
- - Portraits
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Cgm 9460"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 262 sheets paper : 49.5 x 35 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Breu, Jörg, 1510?-1547 Artist, and Clemens Jäger. The Secret Book of Honors of the Fugger Family. [Augsburg, Germany: publisher not identified, to 1799, 1545] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667751/.
APA citation style:
Breu, J. & Jäger, C. (1545) The Secret Book of Honors of the Fugger Family. [Augsburg, Germany: publisher not identified, to 1799] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667751/.
MLA citation style:
Breu, Jörg, 1510?-1547 Artist, and Clemens Jäger. The Secret Book of Honors of the Fugger Family. [Augsburg, Germany: publisher not identified, to 1799, 1545] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667751/>.