Book/Printed Material Book of Attire of the Court of Duke William IV and Albert V of Bavaria, 1508 - 1551. Hofkleiderbuch des Herzogs Wilhelm IV. und Albrecht V. 1508-1551
About this Item
- Book of Attire of the Court of Duke William IV and Albert V of Bavaria, 1508 - 1551.
- Hofkleiderbuch des Herzogs Wilhelm IV. und Albrecht V. 1508-1551
- The first part of this manuscript, which originally was compiled and used as a heraldic reference by the chancellery of the estates of Bavaria, contains a partial copy of the so-called Hofkleiderbuch (Book of attire). It features finely executed illustrations of military and civil costumes, liveries, and war ensigns in use between 1508 and 1551 at the court of the Bavarian dukes, William IV (born 1493, reigned 1508--50) and his son, Albert V (born 1528, reigned 1550--79). The second part of the manuscript primarily shows a variety of heraldic devices, such as crests of noblemen and towns, but also fantastic designs for various historical and fictional persons and countries. Also included in the manuscript is a drawing based on a mural showing the ancestral line of the dukes of Bavaria. The manuscript is preserved in the Bavarian State Library.
Created / Published
- Munich : [publisher not identified], 1599.
- - Germany--Bavaria
- - 1508 to 1551
- - Clothing and dress
- - Costumes
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Military uniforms
- - Uniforms
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark Cgm 1952"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 142 sheets, parchment : illustrations ; 29.5 x 21.8 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Book of Attire of the Court of Duke William IV and Albert V of Bavaria,- 1551. [Munich: Publisher Not Identified, 1599] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667761/.
APA citation style:
(1599) Book of Attire of the Court of Duke William IV and Albert V of Bavaria,- 1551. [Munich: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667761/.
MLA citation style:
Book of Attire of the Court of Duke William IV and Albert V of Bavaria,- 1551. [Munich: Publisher Not Identified, 1599] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667761/>.